'Match for Gupta maiden,28, slightly healthy, fair, graduate teacher, caste no bar. Box - -. ' Personal ad. in an Indian national daily in May 1976
- - - -
O Gupta maiden, Gupta maiden,
8 and 20 springs are gone;
Gupta maiden, still a maiden,
29 is springing on.
Thou art taller than a larkspur,
Thy height I ken is 1-5-3
In centimeter measure, that is,
Which ducks the five foot mark, I see.
Oh 'slightly healthy' Gupta maiden,
Thee I'm ready to adore;
I like that 600 per mensem,
Though I could use a trifle more.
What 'healthy' means in Indian English,
We must own is different.
That thou art a little portly
Is what they candid notice meant.
Here I come, Box 19-something,
Curious to ascertain
What thy unsaid statistics uncover;
Never mind if thou art plain.
Prithee, pale brown Gupta maiden,
Bar me not as wholly bad.
Thy caste-less net is is cast so widely,
But I am just a Gupta lad.
Ananta Madhavan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (Secret Serenade by Ananta Madhavan )
Did you read them?
- A jumping bean, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A bean, Harold R Hunt Sr
- There are heroes, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Love counts the hours, Mark Heathcote
- My Deck, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A trip to rotgut, Harold R Hunt Sr
- A recipe for a poem, Harold R Hunt Sr
- America will be back, Harold R Hunt Sr
- I will not be taken down., Harold R Hunt Sr
- Will the crowd cheer, Harold R Hunt Sr
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)