(............sept4) Wrestling Match, 3 PM
At 3 o'clock this afternoon
right here in this ring,
the poet will be wrestling
with his editor
until one of them
is pinned to the mat.
Wrestling perhaps not
for the poem's soul,
which both profess to believe in,
but for its clothing.
The editor sees
when a button is missing,
a vest does not
quite match the shirt.
The poet just looks
and cries 'My baby! '
He can't even glance
at the poem
forward to embrace it.
Can we say that the poet
is the mother of the poem,
the editor its dad,
showing it how
to pull a collar up
to survive in a difficult world?
Even so, they just can't agree
what's best for the poem,
so they're going to fight it out —
circling each other in the ring,
the editor with his tough love,
the poet, heart on a sleeve.
Max Reif's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem ((............sept4) Wrestling Match, 3 PM by Max Reif )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- The Story Of Grandpa, Taiko
- Love Note 15, Michael P. McParland
- Poetry Heaven, Kim Barney
- Thank You My Love, Margaret Alice Second
- My Dream, Michael P. McParland
- joshua trees hopping in the trunk of the.., Mandolyn ...
- my lovely lovely wife, Rasheed Alqahas
- Four Leaf Clover, Eve White
- Eric Gone Postal, Eve White
- Half-Breed or Racist, Eve White