Edgar Lee Masters
Sersmith the Dentist
Do you think that odes and sermons,
And the ringing of church bells,
And the blood of old men and young men,
Martyred for the truth they saw
With eyes made bright by faith in God,
Accomplished the world's great reformations?
Do you think that the Battle Hymn of the Republic
Would have been heard if the chattel slave
Had crowned the dominant dollar,
In spite of Whitney's cotton gin,
And steam and rolling mills and iron
And telegraphs and white free labor?
Do you think that Daisy Fraser
Had been put out and driven out
If the canning works had never needed
Her little house and lot?
Or do you think the poker room
Of Johnnie Taylor, and Burchard's bar
Had been closed up if the money lost
And spent for beer had not been turned,
By closing them, to Thomas Rhodes
For larger sales of shoes and blankets,
And children's cloaks and gold-oak cradles?
Why, a moral truth is a hollow tooth
Which must be propped with gold.
Edgar Lee Masters's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sersmith the Dentist by Edgar Lee Masters )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1878 - 3 May 1916)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Samuel Taylor Coleridge
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1924 - 2000)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Love, Sarah Flower Adams
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- My Time, Kyle Schlicher
- TEACHER, Shachi Kaul
- Jackals cleverness., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Gibberish, hafiz qasim
- Child Of Mine, Kyle Schlicher
- My Heart Is Heavy, Kyle Schlicher
- Beautiful Dusk, Shachi Kaul
- New year, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I Am Ready, Kyle Schlicher
- Sonnet: The God of Fairness, Justice and.., Dr John Celes