She is the Night
She comes to me
under muted moonlight,
leaving fragile footprints
in the soft wet grass.
Night's quiet scent drifts to me gently
hiding in a summer breeze.
She is close.
My heart is alive in my chest,
jumping like a tribal dancer.
I can see the stars in her dark eyes.
Her lips are melted crimson.
Her skin is pale but glowing.
She smiles as she catches my stare.
She is the night.
Beauty with no beginning or end.
For an instant, I'm alone with silence.
Then she surrounds me like a comforting darkness.
I'm floating untethered in her arms.
Her skin is hot.
Her breath is sweet.
Her quiet night sounds
are glowing embers
igniting flames within me.
I am burning.
We are burning.
The night is aflame.
Fire engulfs us
roaring like a captive animal released.
Flames dance across our limbs
upon our skin
and the night explodes in fire and light
thunderous and shaking
thunderous and shaking
trembling in near silence.
The only sounds
are night's whispered sighs,
a siren's song
burnt into my soul.
She is the night,
and the dawn
and all the time that follows.
TP Sage's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (She is the Night by TP Sage )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Stephen Wylie
Mikhail Yuryevich Lermontov
(1814 - 1841)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Moment Of Happiness, Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- And The Moon And The Stars And The World, Charles Bukowski
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- Is God both Interventionist and non-inte.., Merton Lee
- Fitina Mai Sand'a, Ibrahim Lawal Soro
- Grandma's Attic...(Prose), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Diana's Pool, Julyn Pride
- For My Pen, Ibrahim Lawal Soro
- Villanelle: When countries slaughter mai.., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Coywolf, Julyn Pride
- December Walk, Julyn Pride
- Conundrums Consequence..., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Whats and Whats, Ibrahim Lawal Soro