Beshrew that heart that makes my heart to groan
For that deep wound it gives my friend and me!
Is't not enough to torture me alone,
But slave to slavery my sweet'st friend must be?
Me from myself thy cruel eye hath taken,
And my next self thou harder hast engross'd:
Of him, myself, and thee, I am forsaken;
A torment thrice threefold thus to be cross'd.
Prison my heart in thy steel bosom's ward,
But then my friend's heart let my poor heart bail;
Whoe'er keeps me, let my heart be his guard;
Thou canst not then use rigor in my gaol:
And yet thou wilt; for I, being pent in thee,
Perforce am thine, and all that is in me.
William Shakespeare's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sonnet CXXXIII by William Shakespeare )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- I Still Read.........For Sandra Feldman, Michael P. McParland
- Slouches, Mae AC.
- My Keyboard Gentely Weeps, Michael P. McParland
- My Gift, Michael P. McParland
- Raises Eyebrows, Mae AC.
- My Friend Mee Too, Michael P. McParland
- My Dear Sweet Kira, Michael P. McParland
- My Angel, Michael P. McParland
- Sits up, Mae AC.
- Mee Too You Are Missed, Michael P. McParland