Sonnet XXXIV (You are the daughter of the sea)
You are the daughter of the sea, oregano's first cousin.
Swimmer, your body is pure as the water;
cook, your blood is quick as the soil.
Everything you do is full of flowers, rich with the earth.
Your eyes go out toward the water, and the waves rise;
your hands go out to the earth and the seeds swell;
you know the deep essence of water and the earth,
conjoined in you like a formula for clay.
Naiad: cut your body into turquoise pieces,
they will bloom resurrected in the kitchen.
This is how you become everything that lives.
And so at last, you sleep, in the circle of my arms
that push back the shadows so that you can rest--
vegetables, seaweed, herbs: the foam of your dreams.
Translated by Stephen Tapscott
Pablo Neruda's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sonnet XXXIV (You are the daughter of the sea) by Pablo Neruda )
Did you read them?
- Fall down, lonely, zheung kyuhkoh
- Mission: Fission Or Fusion, Aftab Alam
- My broken heart Transcends, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Red face, Emmanuel George Cefai
- There be a whole civilization, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Under the Flag of Civilization, Emmanuel George Cefai
- United in flying, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Poet Seer in parable., Emmanuel George Cefai
- There was a Poet Seer and the people gat.., Emmanuel George Cefai
- We are meant, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- ' Emeralds And Black Diamon.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- ' In This Autumn Of The Yea.., Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
(A Collection of Select Works...)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
Udiah (witness to Yah)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)