Dante Gabriel Rossetti
Sonnet XXXVI: Life-In-Love
Not in thy body is thy life at all,
But in this lady's lips and hands and eyes;
Through these she yields thee life that vivifies
What else were sorrow's servant and death's thrall.
Look on thyself without her, and recall
The waste remembrance and forlorn surmise
That lived but in a dead-drawn breath of sighs
O'er vanished hours and hours eventual.
Even so much life hath the poor tress of hair
Which, stored apart, is all love hath to show
For heart-beats and for fire-heats long ago;
Even so much life endures unknown, even where,
'Mid change the changeless night environeth,
Lies all that golden hair undimmed in death.
Dante Gabriel Rossetti's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sonnet XXXVI: Life-In-Love by Dante Gabriel Rossetti )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- The victory of peace and truth., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Festival for unity(Republic -Day Celebra.., Aftab Alam
- Love Note 5, Michael P. McParland
- Attempts for peace., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- THE GREAT UNKNOWN - Determined the world, sEaN nOrTh
- A Small Rest 2, Michael P. McParland
- Corrective body for peace., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- आं थाबायो सिगांजोँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- ~Red Lights~, E Nigma
- I Am Happy To Walk Home Alone Slowly, Shalom Freedman