Ella Wheeler Wilcox
There is much in life that makes me sorry as I journey
down life’s way.
And I seem to see more pathos in poor human
Lives each day.
I’m sorry for the strong brave men, who shield
the weak from harm,
But who, in their own troubled hours find no
I’m sorry for the victors who have reached
success, to stand
As targets for the arrows shot by envious failure’s
I’m sorry for the generous hearts who freely
shared their wine,
But drink alone the gall of tears in fortune’s
I’m sorry for the souls who build their own fame’s
Derided by the scornful throng like ice deriding
I’m sorry for the conquering ones tho know not
But daily tread down fierce desire ‘neath scorched
and bleeding feet.
I’m sorry for the anguished hearts that break with
But I’m sorrier for the poor starved souls that
Never knew love’s pain.
Who hunger on through barren years not tasting
joys they crave,
For sadder far is such a lot than weeping o’er a
I’m sorry for the souls that come unwelcomed
I’m sorry for the unloved old who cumber up the
I’m sorry for the suffering poor in life’s great
In truth I’m sorry for them all who make this
But underneath whate’er seems sad and is not
I know there lies hid from our sight a mighty
germ of good.
And this belief stands firm by me, my sermon,
motto, text –
The sorriest things in this life will seem grandest
in the next.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Sorry by Ella Wheeler Wilcox )
Did you read them?
- The safety., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Limerick-35, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- no more love story, The Princess is
- Illogical, Margaret Moran
- Want, The Princess is
- The Passing of the Lord, Translation of .., T (no first name) Wignesan
- Teleskof, Edward Kofi Louis
- Bearing With One Another, Edward Kofi Louis
- Danyell, Edward Kofi Louis
- ap english, imani halley
Poem of the Day
- Mid-Term Break, Seamus Heaney
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- avenues america, rwetewrt erwtwer
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Poison Tree, William Blake
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(April 13,1939 - August 30, 2013)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)