Start, stop, start.
Brush of a touch,
Hint of a hand
You weren’t supposed to do that.
Furtive, sideways glance
Orbit the party
Avoid the pull
Empty kitchen escape.
Your voice outside
Too close to stop
Heart won’t let legs run.
Behind the door
Face to face
Eyes break all the rules.
Same you same me
Cathy and Heathcliffe kiss
Did we plan this
Face the crowd,
From lover back to friend
New line, new sand
We weren’t supposed to do that.
© Jayne Downing
Jayne Downing's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Start, stop, start. by Jayne Downing )
- Ferguson Grand Jury, Is It Poetry
- Thank You KP, Michael McParland
- Paranoia, Jacob Mikael Matuszczak
- This is the only story of life, Aftab Alam
- Writing, Jacob Mikael Matuszczak
- Little Experience, Karen Verdello
- Lunch, Karen Verdello
- Within The Heart, Naveed Akram
- Beige Cage, Karen Verdello
- Tus sueños en tu vida, Elizabeth Garcia
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Thanksgiving Wish To You My Love, Thad Wilk
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)