statue, , , man with umbrella
A Statue... Man with umbrella
It was May in Lisbon had been walking long sat down on a bench
near a statue of a great Portuguese navigator, resting sore feet.
I had earlier that day bought an umbrella, it broke in high wind
so I put it beside on the bench. A child came sat on my lap and his
mother took a photo, apparently they thought I was a statue too.
A man who was showing tourists around said I was a figure made
by the famous Gabriel Bard. I said nothing since I had lost ability
to speak. In the morning cleaners came hosed me and the other
statue down so we looked spotless and presentable for tourists.
After a month I took the night train home in the knowledge that
my picture was taken a thousand times. In the news, next day
a story of a disappeared statue, the police was on the case.
Gabriel Bard was interviewed, poor man he was almost in tears
and demanded to be generously reimbursed for his great work.
Was the sculptor is a charlatan cashing in on my fame?
oskar hansen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (statue, , , man with umbrella by oskar hansen )
- Naughty Two 14, Framarz Bagheri
- Waiting For My Friend, Tony Adah
- With plan, hasmukh amathalal
- rotating, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- I Wait for Thee, Adam M. Snow
- With dignity, hasmukh amathalal
- Aurat, Bano Ali
- Change The Inevitable, Tony Adah
- Love is a Liquid ~~~ vs.57, Mr. Nobody
- Long before my birth (cavatina), Gert Strydom
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
- Heather Burns
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)