statue, , , man with umbrella
A Statue... Man with umbrella
It was May in Lisbon had been walking long sat down on a bench
near a statue of a great Portuguese navigator, resting sore feet.
I had earlier that day bought an umbrella, it broke in high wind
so I put it beside on the bench. A child came sat on my lap and his
mother took a photo, apparently they thought I was a statue too.
A man who was showing tourists around said I was a figure made
by the famous Gabriel Bard. I said nothing since I had lost ability
to speak. In the morning cleaners came hosed me and the other
statue down so we looked spotless and presentable for tourists.
After a month I took the night train home in the knowledge that
my picture was taken a thousand times. In the news, next day
a story of a disappeared statue, the police was on the case.
Gabriel Bard was interviewed, poor man he was almost in tears
and demanded to be generously reimbursed for his great work.
Was the sculptor is a charlatan cashing in on my fame?
oskar hansen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (statue, , , man with umbrella by oskar hansen )
- I am here to help you, gajanan mishra
- Father, gajanan mishra
- Within The Forest, Brianna SaurusRex
- The Beatles in Auckland, michael walker
- Gandhi, gajanan mishra
- Keep Up, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- You, Jose Orozco
- In my heart - you are, gajanan mishra
- 9 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 2 August 2014, Shri R Brahma
Poem of the Day
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(c. 600 BCE)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Udiah (witness to Yah)