Stony, Stony Gorge
A man can lose himself in Stoney Gorge,
That deepest of the chasms in the Earth,
Which goes straight down into the molten forge,
Of brilliant stones of unrecorded worth.
She stands among those jewels in the deep,
She adds a drop of blood to each of them,
Which does disturb her dreams when she's asleep,
But so improves the luster of each gem.
And for her craft she wears a mask of steel,
A thing held on by rivet, bolt and strap,
And in her head, belts grind on iron wheels,
Which evermore will turn until they snap.
On Christmas morning in the world above,
When ordinary folks are mad with mirth,
And poets sing to people drunk with love,
She only labors harder in the Earth.
To make their rings and crowns shine all the more,
The world's so much the brighter for her work,
But never does it stop to thank her for,
The strength enough to mine where monsters lurk.
I can't speak for the rest, but as for me,
I see her diamond pendants gleam and glow,
I see bejeweled angels on the tree,
And toast the work of angels down below.
Leland D'Elormie's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Stony, Stony Gorge by Leland D'Elormie )
- What they say!, Harold R Hunt Sr
- Blue, david kush
- A Few Autumn Notes Late October 2014, Daniel Brick
- Ficticious, Nicholas Nikolov
- Love Is Weak, Tony Adah
- Behind the rock of suicide خلف صخرة الان.., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The All-knowing God, Dr John Celes
- if i were a day, i'd say, Mandolyn ...
- In bed, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- The real moments of truth anytime لحظات .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- "Hope" is the thing with feathers, Emily Dickinson
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)