Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Tales Of A Wayside Inn : Part 2. The Musician's Tale; The Ballad of Carmilhan - I.
At Stralsund, by the Baltic Sea,
Within the sandy bar,
At sunset of a summer's day,
Ready for sea, at anchor lay
The good ship Valdemar.
The sunbeams danced upon the waves,
And played along her side;
And through the cabin windows streamed
In ripples of golden light, that seemed
The ripple of the tide.
There sat the captain with his friends,
Old skippers brown and hale,
Who smoked and grumbled o'er their grog,
And talked of iceberg and of fog,
Of calm and storm and gale.
And one was spinning a sailor's yarn
The Kobold of the sea; a spright
Invisible to mortal sight,
Who o'er the rigging ran.
Sometimes he hammered in the hold,
Sometimes upon the mast,
Sometimes abeam, sometimes abaft,
Or at the bows he sang and laughed,
And made all tight and fast.
He helped the sailors at their work,
And toiled with jovial din;
He helped them hoist and reef the sails,
He helped them stow the casks and bales,
And heave the anchor in.
But woe unto the lazy louts,
The idlers of the crew;
Them to torment was his delight,
And worry them by day and night,
And pinch them black and blue.
And woe to him whose mortal eyes
It is a certain sign of death!?
The cabin-boy here held his breath,
He felt his blood run cold.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Tales Of A Wayside Inn : Part 2. The Musician's Tale; The Ballad of Carmilhan - I. by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow )
Did you read them?
- Between me and You, Rathna nagaraja
- Concepts 24, Somanathan Iyer
- Wind and storm, Somanathan Iyer
- Artistic Eye, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- 9 June 2014, Shri R Brahma
- Hiding Behind Masks, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- God's Will, Kathryn Tyler King
- 6 June 2014, Shri R Brahma
- 4 June 2014, Shri R Brahma
- Breeze, Brian Hyun Kim
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- Heather Burns
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(8 February 1911 – 6 October 1979)