Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Tales Of A Wayside Inn : Part 2. The Musician's Tale; The Ballad of Carmilhan - I.
At Stralsund, by the Baltic Sea,
Within the sandy bar,
At sunset of a summer's day,
Ready for sea, at anchor lay
The good ship Valdemar.
The sunbeams danced upon the waves,
And played along her side;
And through the cabin windows streamed
In ripples of golden light, that seemed
The ripple of the tide.
There sat the captain with his friends,
Old skippers brown and hale,
Who smoked and grumbled o'er their grog,
And talked of iceberg and of fog,
Of calm and storm and gale.
And one was spinning a sailor's yarn
The Kobold of the sea; a spright
Invisible to mortal sight,
Who o'er the rigging ran.
Sometimes he hammered in the hold,
Sometimes upon the mast,
Sometimes abeam, sometimes abaft,
Or at the bows he sang and laughed,
And made all tight and fast.
He helped the sailors at their work,
And toiled with jovial din;
He helped them hoist and reef the sails,
He helped them stow the casks and bales,
And heave the anchor in.
But woe unto the lazy louts,
The idlers of the crew;
Them to torment was his delight,
And worry them by day and night,
And pinch them black and blue.
And woe to him whose mortal eyes
It is a certain sign of death!?
The cabin-boy here held his breath,
He felt his blood run cold.
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Tales Of A Wayside Inn : Part 2. The Musician's Tale; The Ballad of Carmilhan - I. by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
Isabella Valancy Crawford
(25 December 1850 – 12 February 1887)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
Edward Kofi Louis
(13th October 1961)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Ring Out , Wild Bells, Alfred Lord Tennyson
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Rosy (Eight), Asit Kumar Sanyal
- to be or not to be a vegtarianien, oskar hansen
- I Love You Dear, Michael P. McParland
- I Love You 2, Michael P. McParland
- I Love You, Michael P. McParland
- I Hope In Some Way, Michael P. McParland
- Emerald, Naveed Khalid
- I Hope, Michael P. McParland
- In All Things, Edward Kofi Louis
- See, seed!, Edward Kofi Louis