It's seen the birth of many states
It's served us well in many wars
Stars and Stripes banding together
In remembrance of what we're fighting for.
The colors of our homeland
In each hue there is a story
We salute the sound of freedom
When we stand and wave Old Glory.
Our Pride is what we strive for
When we sing of freedom's ring
Because It's what has carried us
Through all our hopes and dreams.
So as we stand along each other
Let us be strong in our belief
That united we can conquer all
That tries to take our liberty.
Though its colors are old and faded
And the cloth is torn and tattered
It was this flag of freedom
That we waved to show it mattered.
We hold it high with dignity
Through battles that we fight
And later lay it on the graves
Of those who lost their lives.
Don't think that we'll forget the reasons
When we defend our human rights
We'll stand and raise Old Glory
With the proud who choose to fight.
Summer Sandercox's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Tattered Flag by Summer Sandercox )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Warning, Jenny Joseph
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Death is Nothing at All, Henry Scott Holland
- Moonlit Night, Tu Fu
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
Poem of the Day
- There Is A Time When One Forces Oneself .., Shalom Freedman
- Lament to the Full Moon, Geoffrey Fafard
- Roach Talk, Ima Ryma
- Haiku A Butterfly By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- MERCY OUR COVALENCY REMAINS WITH BUOYANCY, ANTHONY KIRUI
- Haiku A Wizened Rose By Sophy Chen, Sophy Chen
- A Cleaner World, Luis Estable
- A Coronary Relapse, white dove
- When I Die, Luis Estable
- As if I'd Fallen in Its Waves by Sophy.., Sophy Chen