Sir Henry Wotton
Tears At The Grave Of Sir Albertus Morton (Who Was Buried At Southampton) Wept By Sir H. Wotton.
Silence (in truth) would speak my sorrow best,
For, deepest wounds can least their feelings tell;
Yet, let me borrow from mine own unrest,
But time to bid him, whom I lov'd, farewel.
O my unhappy lines! you that before
Have serv'd my youth to vent some wanton cries,
And now congeal'd with grief, can scarce implore
Strength to accent! Here my Albertus lies.
This is the sable Stone, this is the Cave,
And womb of earth that doth his Corps embrace;
While others sing his praise, let me engrave
These bleeding Numbers to adorn the place.
Here will I paint the Characters of woe,
Here will I pay may tribute to the Dead,
And here my faithful tears in showers shall flow,
To humanize the Flints whereon I tread.
Where though I mourn my matchless loss alone,
And none between my weakness judge and me;
Yet even these gentle walls allow my moan,
Whose doleful Ecchoes to my Plaints agree.
But is he gone? and live I rhyming here,
As if some Muse would listen to my Lay,
When all distun'd sit waiting for their Dear,
And bathe the Banks where he was wont to play?
Dwell thou in endless Light, discharged Soul;
Freed now from Natures, and from Fortunes trust:
While on this fluent Globe my glass shall role,
And run the rest of my remaining dust.
Sir Henry Wotton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Tears At The Grave Of Sir Albertus Morton (Who Was Buried At Southampton) Wept By Sir H. Wotton. by Sir Henry Wotton )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
((13 March 1941 – 9 August 2008)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(30 December 1865 – 18 January 1936)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Touched by an Angel, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Boots, Nassy Fesharaki
- How does she smile, Nero CaroZiv
- We Will Find A Way, Okoemu Barnabas
- The Beloved of The Ph.D. Guide, Bijay Kant Dubey
- You Are Not Even Modern And Instead of B.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- One family, gajanan mishra
- Hamlet, You Too Are Writing Poems, Bijay Kant Dubey
- Christmas The Season, Valentine Mbagu
- Sinking Sun, Aftab Alam
- EMOTIONS, Eugene Latumbo