The Age of Good
I had a vision of mankind to be:
I saw no grated windows, heard no roar
From iron mouths of war on land and sea;
Ambition broke the sway of peace no more.
Out of the chaos of ill-will had come
Cosmos, the Age of Good, Millennium!
The lowly hero had of praise his meed,
And loving-kindnesses joined roof to roof.
The poor were few, and to their daily need
Abundance ministered: men bore reproof;
On crags of self-denial sought to cull
Rare flowers to deck their doors hospitable.
The very bells rang out the Golden Rule,
For hearts were loath to give their fellows pain,
The man was chosen chief who, brave and cool,
Was king in act and thought: wise power is plain
And likes not pomp and show; he seemed to be
The least in all that true democracy.
O Thou, the Christ, the Sower of the seed,
Pluck out the narrowness, the greed for pelf:
Pluck out all tares; the time let come, and speed,
When each will love his neighbor as himself!
The hopes of man, our dreams of higher good,
Are based on Thee; we are Thy brotherhood.
Henry Abbey's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Age of Good by Henry Abbey )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Naveed Khalid
(1 January 1903 - 13 March 1976)
Sir Walter Scott
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Visit from St. Nicholas, Clement Clarke Moore
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Talking Turkeys!, Benjamin Zephaniah
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- An Eagle, Md. Ziaul Haque
- New Neighbour, Md. Ziaul Haque
- I Feel Free, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- O, No!, gajanan mishra
- Grand Hand, Michael McParland
- Waking Up in the foam of soap and a stac.., padli monas
- His & her roles reverse, Mark Heathcote
- Water, Mark Heathcote
- My Coquette Moon, Guillermo Veloso