The Ambition Bird
So it has come to this
insomnia at 3:15 A.M.,
the clock tolling its engine
like a frog following
a sundial yet having an electric
seizure at the quarter hour.
The business of words keeps me awake.
I am drinking cocoa,
that warm brown mama.
I would like a simple life
yet all night I am laying
poems away in a long box.
It is my immortality box,
my lay-away plan,
All night dark wings
flopping in my heart.
Each an ambition bird.
The bird wants to be dropped
from a high place like Tallahatchie Bridge.
He wants to light a kitchen match
and immolate himself.
He wants to fly into the hand of Michelangelo
anc dome out painted on a ceiling.
He wants to pierce the hornet’s nest
and come out with a long godhead.
He wants to take bread and wine
and bring forth a man happily floating in the Caribbean.
He wants to be pressed out like a key
so he can unlock the Magi.
He wants to take leave among strangers
passing out bits of his heart like hors d’oeuvres.
He wants to die changing his clothes
and bolt for the sun like a diamond.
He wants, I want.
Dear God, wouldn’t it be
good enough to just drink cocoa?
I must get a new bird
and a new immortality box.
There is folly enough inside this one.
Anne Sexton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Ambition Bird by Anne Sexton )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- where is my voice?, veeraiyah subbulakshmi
- नै मिथिँगा अनजालि, Ronjoy Brahma
- Living And Going., Tony Adah
- The Little Martyr, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- बारसे बिबार बारदोँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- # When #, Aparna Chatterjee
- - She -, Aparna Chatterjee
- You are not the body, gajanan mishra
- - Die -, Aparna Chatterjee
- > Nowadays <, Aparna Chatterjee