The Apartment House
Severe against the pleasant arc of sky
The great stone box is cruelly displayed.
The street becomes more dreary from its shade,
And vagrant breezes touch its walls and die.
Here sullen convicts in their chains might lie,
Or slaves toil dumbly at some dreary trade.
How worse than folly is their labor made
Who cleft the rocks that this might rise on high!
Yet, as I look, I see a woman's face
Gleam from a window far above the street.
This is a house of homes, a sacred place,
By human passion made divinely sweet.
How all the building thrills with sudden grace
Beneath the magic of Love's golden feet!
Joyce Kilmer's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Apartment House by Joyce Kilmer )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Rainer Maria Rilke
(4 December 1875 – 29 December 1926)
(7 October 1948 -)
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
Poem of the Day
- ARRIVAL DAY, michael walkerjohn
- Yeh Meri Betian, Akhtar Jawad
- I am with you, Tiku akp
- आबै-आबौनि गामि, Ronjoy Brahma
- जोमैनि गामियाव, Ronjoy Brahma
- Ogling breasts … 2112-14, saadat tahir
- गोसोखौ बुरखायो, Ronjoy Brahma
- Banging, Casey Renee Kiser
- New Birth, Paul Sebastian
- First Encounter - Tan Sri Clement Hii, john tiong chunghoo