The Art Of Playing Dominoes
I played dominoes with my grandson
His last year I played dominoes with my father
My grandsons dominoes had animals on their faces
My father’s were the traditional kind
There is little skill in playing
Much is determined by the hand you start with
Chance and luck plays a major role
In who wins the game.
Is that much like life?
My father played with dimmed eyes
a befuddled mind
My grandson saw bright animals,
knew the differences
Between a cockerel,
a cow.a sheep and a pig.
My father saw only dots
and found it difficult
My grandson was beginning his life
Everything was bright
He knew the colors were alive
My father was ending his
In black and white and gray.
I played dominoes with them both
the living link. messenger between the two
I was privileged sharing in the Game.
My father bequeathed to me
the Art of playing dominoes
Is that so much like life?
peter rodenby's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Art Of Playing Dominoes by peter rodenby )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
James Weldon Johnson
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Alone With Everybody, Charles Bukowski
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Bluebird, Charles Bukowski
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
Poem of the Day
- the passage of thyme, delilah contrapunctal.... ye ..
- The death of all things, Nero CaroZiv
- A Tale of Two Handicapped Handyman, Tushar Ray
- Whispers Of Canal-Ghosts, Naveed Akram
- She Walks In Beauty, Luo Zhihai
- Is God both Interventionist and non-inte.., Merton Lee
- Fitina Mai Sand'a, Ibrahim Lawal Soro
- Grandma's Attic...(Prose), Frank James Ryan Jr...FjR
- Diana's Pool, Julyn Pride
- For My Pen, Ibrahim Lawal Soro