Robert William Service
Think not because you raise
A gleaming sword,
That you will win to praise
Before the Lord.
And though men hail you great
Unto the skies,
Deem not 'twill ope' the gate
Though you have gold and gear
And fame and power,
What odds when you draw near
The Judgement Hour?
But if in bloody dust
You battle for the Just
With broken blade--
Then will the Lord look down
With eyes of love,
And you shall win a Crown
All price above.
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Defeated by Robert William Service )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- The One Nobody Wants, Paul Burt
- Beauty Of Another Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Resilience, Skyline's Vermillion Intermi.., Ryan Scales
- strayed desires, Asma Riaz Khan
- Kill me............, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Let me salute you, gajanan mishra
- Life is Beautiful, Soumita Sarkar Ray
- Changing Landscapes Of Time, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- should i add this to our Irish stew?, Mandolyn ...
- Reflections, Nero CaroZiv