Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
The Emperor's Glove. (Birds Of Passage. Flight The Fifth)
On St. Bavon's tower, commanding
Half of Flanders, his domain,
Charles the Emperor once was standing,
While beneath him on the landing
Stood Duke Alva and his train.
Like a print in books of fables,
Or a model made for show,
With its pointed roofs and gables,
Dormer windows, scrolls and labels,
Lay the city far below.
Through its squares and streets and alleys
Poured the populace of Ghent;
As a routed army rallies,
Or as rivers run through valleys,
Hurrying to their homes they went
'Nest of Lutheran misbelievers!'
Cried Duke Alva as he gazed;
'Haunt of traitors and deceivers,
Stronghold of insurgent weavers,
Let it to the ground be razed!'
On the Emperor's cap the feather
Nods, as laughing he replies:
'How many skins of Spanish leather,
Think you, would, if stitched together,
Make a glove of such a size?'
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Emperor's Glove. (Birds Of Passage. Flight The Fifth) by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow )
Did you read them?
- Progress of history, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Why, Is It Poetry
- History, Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- I have surrendered to my Muse, Erato
- Seasons' pretty coming قدوم الفصول الرائع, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- World of Illusion., Anonymous Rose
- Seasons' pretty coming, MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Confetti, Jeannette Heywood
- A Big Salute To Ritwik Ghatak, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- As A Human Being, MOHAMMAD SKATI
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Drummer Hodge, Thomas Hardy
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Death Leaves Us homesick, Who Behind, Emily Dickinson
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(1886 - 1967)