The Frog In The Well
'Welcome to this well,
My friend, please tell
How big is your sea-well? '
Asked a frog in the well.
The sea isn't a well,
And has no circular wall
Why don't you go and see? '
Said the frog of the sea.
'No, if there's no wall
As tall as this well,
The sea water will
Seep out as well.'
'You'll go to the hell,
To me, if you again tell
That sea has no wall.'
Said the frog in the well.
Aren't there village folks
Even today, in their walks
Of life full of darkness
About the scientific progress?
Ask some of them why
An eclipse on the sky,
Of Solar or Lunar?
This'll be their answer.
'With its mouth wide open,
A serpent swallows the sun
Or the moon, causing eclipse.'
What an unbelievable nonsense?
'The end of the world is near.
Let people start their prayer
On the nearby mountain
As the catastrophe is certain.'
Some run up and down,
So saying to every one,
For this danger unseen
By the people, not keen.
The scientific knowledge
Should reach every village.
Then will there dwell
Any frog in the well?
Rajaram Ramachandran's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Frog In The Well by Rajaram Ramachandran )
- Gumsum Gumsum, Akhtar Jawad
- Workmates?, Over The Moon
- Some way or other, gajanan mishra
- A Piece Of My Love., Philip Mutuku
- I Am Time, Time, Indelible, Indestructib.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Cambridge -Seat of Learning., Geoffrey Fafard
- Disharmony......, PARTHA SARATHI PAUL
- Time Is Not Staying In Place, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- If Not Homespun, Scott J. Shepard
- Gifts, Scott J. Shepard
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)