The Grammar Lesson
A noun's a thing. A verb's the thing it does.
An adjective is what describes the noun.
In "The can of beets is filled with purple fuzz"
of and with are prepositions. The's
an article, a can's a noun,
a noun's a thing. A verb's the thing it does.
A can can roll - or not. What isn't was
or might be, might meaning not yet known.
"Our can of beets is filled with purple fuzz"
is present tense. While words like our and us
are pronouns - i.e. it is moldy, they are icky brown.
A noun's a thing; a verb's the thing it does.
Is is a helping verb. It helps because
filled isn't a full verb. Can's what our owns
in "Our can of beets is filled with purple fuzz."
See? There's almost nothing to it. Just
memorize these rules...or write them down!
A noun's a thing, a verb's the thing it does.
The can of beets is filled with purple fuzz.
Read poems about / on: purple
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Grammar Lesson by Steve Kowit )
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- A Character, William Wordsworth
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- Eyes that tell, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Night was plucky, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Once that Dawn her reign, Emmanuel George Cefai
- You have ever woken, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Horror is, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Of horror do we, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Thick Was The Mist, Emmanuel George Cefai
- Fear and fear, gajanan mishra
- Testing Muhammad by Abraham Lincoln's Qu.., Akhtar Jawad
- Castles Made of Salt, Michael Mira