The Great Mother
She was a famous mother of the church worked long hours
to help the poor die- with some dignity- on a straw mat.
Total her dedication but bitter was her heart she prayed
to a god that did not deign to give her an replay just a long
enduring silence a telepathic phone call never answered
the hum of eternity, futility and nothingness.
The ungodly world recompensed her she was feted and
travelled first class meeting the high and influential and
movie stars were eager to have their photo taken with her.
She kissed the pope´s ring- few women get that accolade-
and the gallant pope with the world´s eye resting on him
kissed her hands. But her hart grew bitter in her old age she
lost faith and in her heart forswore his presence, pushed him
out like a suitor who only had empty promises in his sack.
oskar hansen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Great Mother by oskar hansen )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
- Sarakara aapananka dwarare, gajanan mishra
- Man: A proud species, Pranab K. Chakraborty
- ONly needed, hasmukh amathalal
- Govt at people's door, gajanan mishra
- Nothing Going On, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Her Shoebox Of Poetry, louis rams
- Releasing Sorrow's Energy, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Let world be aware, hasmukh amathalal
- As She Wrought, Darlene Walsh
- When A Man Offers His Heart, Lora Colon