William Henry Davies
The Happy Child
I saw this day sweet flowers grow thick --
But not one like the child did pick.
I heard the packhounds in green park --
But no dog like the child heard bark.
I heard this day bird after bird --
But not one like the child has heard.
A hundred butterflies saw I --
But not one like the child saw fly.
I saw the horses roll in grass --
But no horse like the child saw pass.
My world this day has lovely been --
But not like what the child has seen.
William Henry Davies's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Happy Child by William Henry Davies )
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- Mother to Son, Langston Hughes
- I Dream A World, Langston Hughes
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I, Too, Langston Hughes
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Let America be America Again, Langston Hughes
- April Rain Song, Langston Hughes
- Dream Variations, Langston Hughes
Poem of the Day
- Dreams Of This Mind, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Captured By Music, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Remembering Beauty Of Love, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Feeling Loneliness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- I Don't Know Who You Are, Vera Sidhwa
- Poet's Space, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- A Flower Puff was Given To Me, Vera Sidhwa
- Thank You Darling, Michael P. McParland
- All Through The Night, Lora Colon
- How people Behave, Angell Afinowi