The House of Odes
readying and tuning
my demanding, murmuring lyre,
I know who I am
and where my song is going.
that the shopper for myths
house of odes,
of father and mother and country
on the walls,
of the bread
and the saltcellar. But
that's how it is in my house of odes.
I deposed the dark monarchy,
the useless flowing hair of dreams,
I trod on the tail
of the cerebral reptile,
and set things
-- water and fire -
in harmony with man and earth.
I want everything
I want everything to be
a cup or a tool,
I want people to enter a hardware
store through the door of my odes.
I work at
newly hewn boards,
I want everyone to enter here,
let them ask questions,
ask for anything they want.
I am from the South, a Chilean,
from the seas.
I did not stay in the islands,
I did not stay ensconced
in the land of dreams.
I returned to labor simply
So that everyone
may live here,
I build my house
Pablo Neruda's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The House of Odes by Pablo Neruda )
Did you read them?
- In tiny heart.., Md. Asadullah
- The Companionable Ills, Sylvia Plath
- The Glutton, Sylvia Plath
- The Sleepers, Sylvia Plath
- Departure, Sylvia Plath
- The Beast, Sylvia Plath
- Somewhere in the Streets of Amsterdam, John Siregar
- God's Kind of Poetry: My Well of Wellness, tolu ogundare
- Locution, location!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Scotland: My Love Renewed, Paul Gerard Reed
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Footsteps of Angels, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Farewell, Anne Brontë
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)