The House of Odes
readying and tuning
my demanding, murmuring lyre,
I know who I am
and where my song is going.
that the shopper for myths
house of odes,
of father and mother and country
on the walls,
of the bread
and the saltcellar. But
that's how it is in my house of odes.
I deposed the dark monarchy,
the useless flowing hair of dreams,
I trod on the tail
of the cerebral reptile,
and set things
-- water and fire -
in harmony with man and earth.
I want everything
I want everything to be
a cup or a tool,
I want people to enter a hardware
store through the door of my odes.
I work at
newly hewn boards,
I want everyone to enter here,
let them ask questions,
ask for anything they want.
I am from the South, a Chilean,
from the seas.
I did not stay in the islands,
I did not stay ensconced
in the land of dreams.
I returned to labor simply
So that everyone
may live here,
I build my house
Pablo Neruda's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The House of Odes by Pablo Neruda )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- Crazy Mary, Midnights Voice
- Creative Solutions, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -32, Ronjoy Brahma
- Disagreeing With Care, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Outer Limits, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Keep simply cool, hasmukh amathalal
- गोरबो इसिँनिफ्राइ -31, Ronjoy Brahma
- Folds Of Death, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- hey dipstick, this is for you, Mandolyn Davidson
- Time - I know not, gajanan mishra