Ella Wheeler Wilcox
The Land Of The Gone-Away Souls
Oh! that is a beautiful land, I wis,
The land of the Gone-away Souls.
Yes, a lovelier region by far than this
(Though this is a world most fair).
The goodliest goal of all good goals,
Else why do our friends stay there?
I walk in a world that is sweet with friends,
And earth I have ever held dear;
Yes, love with duty and beauty blends
To render the earth-place bright.
But faster and faster, year on year,
My comrades hurry from sight.
They hurry away to the Over-There,
And few of them say farewell;
Yes, they go away with a secret air
As if on a secret quest.
And they come not back to earth to tell
Why that land seems the best.
Messages come from the mystic sphere,
But few know the code of that land,
Yes, many the message but few who hear,
In the din of the world below,
Or hearing the message, can understand
Those truths which we long to know.
But it must be the goal of all good goals,
And I think of it more and more.
Yes, think of that land of the Gone-Away Souls
And its growing hosts of friends
Who will hail my bark when it touches shore
Where the last brief journey ends.
Ella Wheeler Wilcox's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Land Of The Gone-Away Souls by Ella Wheeler Wilcox )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Did you read them?
- Lost Of Ambition, Tony Adah
- Spelling The Things That Drift Away, mary douglas
- I'm Not The Folktune Said The Princess, mary douglas
- Red Velveteen Wouldn't The Rosebuds Wish.., mary douglas
- The Muse In Flight Before The Approachin.., mary douglas
- Etched In The Stone The Weeping Fern Sur.., mary douglas
- Neutralize your last final words, Mark Heathcote
- Her Voice, Kristopher DeLander
- Blue Words Were Spoken From A Golden Book, mary douglas
- Essay of Self, Simon Quperlier