Robert William Service
Said he: "I'll dive deep in the Past,
And write a book of direful days
When summer skies were overcast
With smoke of humble hearths ablaze;
When War was rampant in the land,
And poor folk cowered in the night,
While ruin gaped on every hand -
of ravishing and wrath I'll write."
Ten years he toiled to write his book,
Yet he was happy all the while;
The world he willingly forsook
T live alone in hermit style.
In garden sanctuaried sweet,
Full favoured by the steadfast sun,
plunged in the Past, a life complete
He lived. . . . At last his work was done.
A worthy book that few would read
Yet all would praise - each precious page
Starred with some truth the rare would heed,
The vivid images of an age,
Then blinking, to the world again
He came a sage, remote, austere . . .
When lo! his eyes were smote with flame,
The wail of war was in his ear.
He shrank and sighed: "Oh can it be
These old iniquities prevail!
That sons of men are still unfree
And time repeats her sorry tale!"
So with a long sad gaze and last,
Seeking his secret garden nook,
He slipped again into the Past
To live - and write another book.
Robert William Service's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Mole by Robert William Service )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- A Song For Mortals, Varghese J Kuttikat
- More of a Sufferer than a Sinner, Varghese J Kuttikat
- Prayer of a Tree, Bill Cantrell
- COPLA SESENTA Y UNO: This Bad Guy World, T (no first name) Wignesan
- Niagara, Nassy Fesharaki
- ADEEB QUDSI, THE GREAT MEMORY اديب قدسي .., MOHAMMAD SKATI
- Purposeful Truths, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- died in faith, kyvin nash
- A Lasting Rhythm, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Raising Children Without Hatred, RoseAnn V. Shawiak