The Oh So Pleasant Dick From the Neighborhood Association
Even without a clipboard there was
that hint of officialdom at the front door,
Looking past me at the unopened boxes
Smiling as if someone had told him to.
The pamphlet said welcome but was mostly
rules about allowable colors and cars. Cars?
Was this a horrible mistake
or should I maintain a positive
attitude about the inevitable chafing?
He could have been from the local lynch mob.
We prefer not to use the word “lynch, ” he said.
Michael Philips's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Oh So Pleasant Dick From the Neighborhood Association by Michael Philips )
- Tour Of Life, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- ZZ Animals Flunk These 2014 Candidates, Saiom Shriver
- my pool days, lee fones
- Enough is enough, Pat Raia
- A list of the most stupid things said to.., Mae AC.
- Cherry on Top Sundries Shoppe, Steve Kittell
- 'Charlie Girl', Katherine Nordhaus
- Contemporary-time Indian English Poets A.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Importance of compassion, gajanan mishra
- A Flower Which Dreams, Rohit Sapra
Poem of the Day
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Eldorado, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
Ernest Christopher Dowson
(2 August 1867 – 23 February 1900)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)