The Old Dear
She was such a pleasure to meet
So wise and one without conceit
Yet she smoked and she coughed night and day
And now all is quiet where she lay.
She had just reached her seventieth year
The woman known as the Old Dear
When the reaper on her paid a call
The reaper who will claim us all.
With her husband she split years ago
Apart she said we seemed to grow
He found himself another wife
And I just got on with my life.
Their only child a daughter named Sue
On her last birthday turned forty two
With her partner and their teenage girl and boy
She lives far north as the crow fly.
One with an addiction to nicotine
The old dear she often was seen
Puffing on a cigarette
She was one who diced with death.
And though i won't be seeing her again
In my heart she will remain
Till the reaper will claim me
And soon very soon that will be.
Never in a surly mood
Or never knew her to be rude
She would always smile and say
May joy be with you today.
If there's a paradise beyond the sky
Where good souls go to when the body die
She will be there i would bet
Puffing on a cigarette.
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Old Dear by Francis Duggan )
- honneur, xxx xxx
- Take a bit less, gajanan mishra
- Right To Die, Col Muhamad Khalid Khan
- Block them, hasmukh amathalal
- Milk and wine, gajanan mishra
- Go on learning, Aftab Alam
- quand il pleut, xxx xxx
- How can I tell the truth, gajanan mishra
- A Few Beautiful Poems for Whom, for What…, Hebert Logerie
- Flash trade, hasmukh amathalal
Poem of the Day
- The Old Woman, Joseph Campbell
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Peace. A Study, Charles Stuart Calverley
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Question, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
- Heather Burns
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(13 September 1916 – 23 November 1990)