The Parting Scene
My eyes lingered upon her, lying there
upon a stage of life we’d never known.
There beneath the moon and stars, the curtain
fell, and with one last breathless sigh, she moaned.
A blanket of darkness drifted over
my dearest one, hid her innocent grace
beneath death’s awesome veil... eyes, baby blue,
concealed by a mask of icy white lace.
I held her hand and understood, that soon
the dreaded hour must come for me... for me
to let go. Yet, my heart, the part she held
began to rage, to melt...How could that be?
Last night my darling angel passed away.
I am forever, grievously forlorn.
No longer do my beloved’s sweet lips
meet mine, with love’s song, in the early morn.
As if in ancient play, with ghostly wings,
far beyond hope of heaven’s highest dream~
she’d promised me she would fly, if only
I were there, with her... for the parting scene.
Jackie Allen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Parting Scene by Jackie Allen )
- It Made My Day.....(sigh), Kaila George
- Unsure About....., Kaila George
- Love, Joy, Trust & Respect, Tom Zart
- Change, Kaila George
- tempt, Frederick J.B. Moore II
- Sasha said, Nassy Fesharaki
- With A Lifting Of My Leg, Is It Poetry
- Doom and Gloom, Nweke Emmanuel
- I have left my home, ramesh rai
- Turnips, Nassy Fesharaki
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Nothing Gold Can Stay, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
- Heather Burns
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)