The Point Of Taste
Unhappy poets of a sunken prime!
You to reviewers are as ball to bat.
They shadow you with Homer, knock you flat
With Shakespeare: bludgeons brainingly sublime
On you the excommunicates of Rhyme,
Because you sing not in the living Fat.
The wiry whizz of an intrusive gnat
Is verse that shuns their self-producing time.
Sound them their clocks, with loud alarum trump,
Or watches ticking temporal at their fobs,
You win their pleased attention. But, bright God
O' the lyre, what bully-drawlers they applaud!
Rather for us a tavern-catch, and bump
Chorus where Lumpkin with his Giles hobnobs.
George Meredith's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Point Of Taste by George Meredith )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
Sheldon Allan Silverstein
(September 25, 1930 – May 10, 1999)
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(3 June 1926 – 5 April 1997)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- A Smile To Remember, Charles Bukowski
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Sonnet XVII, Pablo Neruda
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- Your Day, abdulrazak aralimatti
- The Deeds of the Devil, Swetashree Sahoo
- Without Spending Money, He Is A Net Poet.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- Destruction, Aftab Alam
- You know everything - public good, gajanan mishra
- DEATH PERMANENT! *, Subbaraman N V
- When Angry, Leong Ming Loong
- Truth and conscience, gajanan mishra
- Win the self, gajanan mishra
- (6) जिख्लाबसे लाइजाम: 'रैसुमै'नो, Ronjoy Brahma