The Point Of Taste
Unhappy poets of a sunken prime!
You to reviewers are as ball to bat.
They shadow you with Homer, knock you flat
With Shakespeare: bludgeons brainingly sublime
On you the excommunicates of Rhyme,
Because you sing not in the living Fat.
The wiry whizz of an intrusive gnat
Is verse that shuns their self-producing time.
Sound them their clocks, with loud alarum trump,
Or watches ticking temporal at their fobs,
You win their pleased attention. But, bright God
O' the lyre, what bully-drawlers they applaud!
Rather for us a tavern-catch, and bump
Chorus where Lumpkin with his Giles hobnobs.
George Meredith's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Point Of Taste by George Meredith )
- With nature, hasmukh amathalal
- Owl, kassem oude
- No ordinary, hasmukh amathalal
- Coal - your turn, gajanan mishra
- Bluff-masters As Contemporary Indian Eng.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- There Will Always Be Another Poem, Shalom Freedman
- This Is My Bungalow, This Is My Car, Thi.., Bijay Kant Dubey
- f' my life i hate this place, shannon strauss
- Pulmonary Hypertension, Strydar Enox
- Depths Unknown, Lawrence S. Pertillar