With these hands I will defend you.
With these arms I will hold you.
With this heart I will love you.
When the fear comes, I will shield you.
When the pain comes, I will heal you.
When the sadness comes, I will protect you.
I can see the sky-high walls you build;
They are as clear as day -
Even unbreakable. Almost.
For I shall not just stand at the base
of these walls and watch as you seal
yourself behind them.
No, I will not merely knock,
Try again, give up, and turn,
Never to see the real you again.
I will break down those walls.
Smash through them, and
Embrace your soul.
I shall not judge, mock, or exploit
Your soul. Rather, I will provide
Comfort, and security - safe haven.
A safe haven where you can be your
True self without fear of ridicule.
A safe haven for you and me.
John McClay's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Protector by John McClay )
- Renaissance, LALITHA JOSEPH
- Picture Puzzle, Heather Burns
- Is a woman free really?, gajanan mishra
- Midnight Blue, Heather Burns
- Rodeo Rogues, Saiom Shriver
- Seek And Ye Shall Find, Saiom Shriver
- Starlove, Saiom Shriver
- Sonnet No: 62 I WERE A CUCKOO, I'D SWE.., Dipankar Sadhukhan
- dreams and reality, Rahman Henry
- To Alex. Cunningham, Esq., Writer, Edinb.., Robert Burns
Poem of the Day
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Home And Love, Robert William Service
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns
Udiah (witness to Yah)