The Road Not Taken Revisited
Two roads diverged in a shabby wood,
And my fears could not travel both.
My vision was not clear from where I stood
With a troubled soul under my hood,
All I see was darkness and its growth.
"I have many doubts in my mind"
I looked down both as far as I could.
Mohammedan's swords shaped the far left troth,
And Christendom on my far right where Robin Hood once stood
And both, my voice they misunderstood.
Too much-jagged bent and undergrowth!
"To keep the peace I stayed behind"
A third I discovered the same day,
Star of David as sharp as a dagger
Bleeds Palestine dry like chipped clay.
I broke down in tears in a new way,
Made my heart stumble and stagger.
"I suffered from the same old grind"
And having perhaps the better claim,
Thought for passing there felt queer,
Had worn me really about the same.
I mistrust man, and his repetitive shame.
Syria today is the new holocaust tear.
"God absent when passion is false and blind"
Sorry to say, I hesitated to travel
The cross or crescent levelling rod.
Their justice is the modern gavel
Where compassion tends to unravel
The better I am without man's God.
"Is nature better off without mankind? '
Voltaire valiantly voiced and I quote:
"If God does not exist man must invent him".
After undressing each memorial's trench coat,
And tallying the killed souls note-by-note,
Avoiding religion's fanaticism seems dim.
"God's heartbeat like mine declined'
I shall be telling this with a cry:
Generals and renegades plan wars, and hence
Hearts diverge from where God stood, and I
Took His one road less travelled by:
Peace. And that has made all the difference.
"My heart and God's purpose aligned! '
Copyright Leaking Pen 2013
Revised Oct 25th 2014
Leaking Pen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Road Not Taken Revisited by Leaking Pen )
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 February 1898 – 14 August 1956)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Christmas Day In the Workhouse, George Robert Sims
- A Late Walk, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- '' Death Can't Be Undone '', bri mar
- Ravenna, Edward Kofi Louis
- Breath, beneath!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Rosy (Ten), Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Merry Christmas My Dear, Michael P. McParland
- See, seer!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Obligated, Edward Kofi Louis
- Rosy (Nine), Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Rosy (Eight), Asit Kumar Sanyal
- to be or not to be a vegtarianien, oskar hansen