John Bliven Morin
The Searchers (part 2 of 2)
The sunlight came and brought a breeze,
the songs of birds came from the trees;
the children's stretching, yawning, sighs
accompanied the opening of their eyes.
They wiped them then in disbelief,
for there in every bowl and leaf,
honey, fruits, dewdrops and berries;
who could have left them but the fairies?
Sweet music came from somewhere near,
gone was their hunger, fatigue and fear;
they heard the hidden voices sing
and saw they'd slept in a fairy ring.
With the dawn, they knew the way,
homeward, happily they play;
relief for a worried Mum and Dad
who'd looked in vain for their lass and lad.
That night, tucked lovingly in her bed,
Mary, to her brother said,
'But Bobby, we never saw a fairy! '
'Hush, my little sister Mary,
'You saw their hilltop fairy ring,
you heard their many voices sing;
you ate and drank their kindness, wee one,
and now complain you didn't see one? '
'I'm sorry, Bobby, ' Mary pled,
I'll never doubt again, ' she said,
'we may grow old each passing year;
I'll always know that they are here! '
John Bliven Morin's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Poet's Notes about The Poem
Comments about this poem (The Searchers (part 2 of 2) by John Bliven Morin )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Ella Wheeler Wilcox
(5 November 1850 - 30 October 1919)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(13 July 1793 – 20 May 1864)
(October 13th 1990)
(13-7-31 (see reverse))
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(1320 – 1392)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- O Captain! My Captain!, Walt Whitman
- I Am the Only Being Whose Doom, Emily Jane Brontë
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Tiger, William Blake
Poem of the Day
- General Gordon, the Hero of Khartoum, Max Plowman
- Limerick-73, DEEPAK KUMAR PATTANAYAK
- MOTHER, KASINIVENTHAN MUTHURAMALINGAM
- The Monkey, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Krampus, Ima Ryma
- For My Love, Sandra Feldman
- I love To Run, Patrick Sant
- My Exploding Stomach, RUBAB ATWAL
- The Lifelong Comrades, Muhammad Farhan Ahmed
- LAST TIME, Terry Collett