Jennifer K. Sweeney
The Snow Leopard Mother
The snow leopard mother runs straight
down the mountain.
Elk cliff. Blizzard.
into the night.
Her silence and wild
falling is a compass
of hunger and memory. Breath
prints on the carried-away body.
This is how it goes so far away
from our ripening grapes and lime,
coyote eyes rimming the canyon.
we paddle out in our ice boat
headed toward no future at last.
O tired song of what we thought,
stillness crouches like a prow.
We break the ice gently forward.
If I want to cling to anything
then this quiet of being the last
to know about our lives.
Jennifer K. Sweeney's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Snow Leopard Mother by Jennifer K. Sweeney )
(12 May 1812 – 29 January 1888)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1644 - 1694)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(January 6, 1883 – April 10, 1931)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
(12 May 1828 – 9 April 1882)
- The Saddest Poem, Pablo Neruda
- A Little While, Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- The Tiger, William Blake
- Winter Solstice, Jacqueline C Nash
- Beyond, Fabrizio Frosini
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
Poem of the Day
- My One True Love, Leong Ming Loong
- For they were lovers each-other, Pijush Biswas
- Textology - 2. Exclamations, Joseph Archer
- Si boru puas si boru Bakkara, molu dung .., Mapung Madura
- I Wore The Fox, Naveed Akram
- Clearing the void, Phil's Writings
- The Treacherous Bride, Asaolu Abayomi
- Them, Tanja Henderson
- It is time for me to go home, Leong Ming Loong
- Forsaken For Your Sake, Asma Riaz Khan