The stairway to heaven
The stars look up to lie down at the stairway to heaven,
A fire pot holding sage climbs the cold stairway
Pondering the revelation of the astral planes
drawn on resting places
"Come my child rejoice the perplexities' he says
Of an animist nature
The waters fall to precede a malefic tide"
‘Who forsakes who among the damned my child think"
‘The new religions of mammon rises like samris idol"
No Moses carries tablets here now
The commandments lost in the river parting
Lots wife has come back to life,
musing at the punishment's withdrawn
Will the curses roam again"?
Sitting on the stairway with his back to the summit,
He gazes at the soldering wicker fire pot like a crystal ball.
I know not who I am, " He says.
‘I am lost like a girl child
I am the lamb of thorn pastures"
In th greatness enforced on this stairway
Recompensing your denials at my expense
Here I lie in your great embrace
Defaced and deranged beyond recognition.
Faizz Munshi's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The stairway to heaven by Faizz Munshi )
- Free on the Breeze, Thomas Plotz
- Gather strength, hasmukh amathalal
- INDIA! INDIA!, dr.k.g.balakrishnan kandangath
- Morning, Sara Hopkins
- My India (Hindi) भारत अपना, S.D. TIWARI
- from 'The Double' VIII, Morgan Michaels
- MY DOLL, Ritusmera Mundakkal
- Hope and promises, hasmukh amathalal
- September Rain, Musfiq us shaleheen
- Elusive Is Zen, Tad Russell
Poem of the Day
- 04 Tongues Made Of Glass, Shaun Shane
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Alone, Maya Angelou
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(24 January 1572 - 31 March 1631)