The Swing of Damocles
The shredding sound of the thunder
cuts through a suppled-bone bit,
of a fighter's howling swing
a holied sword pierces
thrills the victorious stance
of the brave crawling wind zooming...
There was only one heap of slaughters
stalling all the fences of a defense;
The rehearsed agony of a coward
binding, pinning his own malady;
And the question asked worriedly
was: What will be the next plight?
His doldrums wear those who've downed
and those who've remained lighted!
Lo! ...was the cursing view of battles
resented the smell of the dying piece?
Or, were the vanguards of peace retold
their ventures at the foot of a queen?
Kingdoms failed to anchor a treasured behest
while legends bestowed upon the epics!
Gil Gregorio's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Swing of Damocles by Gil Gregorio )
- It Really Ain't So Bad.... In Hell ......., Bri Edwards
- Crushed Cookies...... [HUMOR; SHORT; re.., Bri Edwards
- Where Did Mommy Go, Stephen Morris Jr
- me sisters dog, lee fones
- On Cold Grey Mountain, John Martinez
- I KNEW LOVE, SHARON YAKOWA
- I'm Still Here, Stephen Morris Jr
- tramp, lee fones
- Leaves On The Grass, Poetic Lilly Emery
- Thought Process, Mitta Xinindlu
Poem of the Day
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- A Bright Glow, Joyce Hemsley
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- A Very Short Song, Dorothy Parker
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Love's Philosophy, Percy Bysshe Shelley
- No Man Is An Island, John Donne
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(22 March 1941 -)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)