Silent I'm biding,
While softly gliding
Sink the still hours to eternity's sleep.
My fancies roaming
List in the gloaming:-
Will she the trysting now keep?
Winter is dreaming,
Bright stars are beaming,
Smiling their light through its cloud-veil they pour,
Sweet love compelling;-
Dare she not meet me here more?
'Neath the ice lying,
Longing and sighing,
Ocean would wander and warmer lands woo.
Anchored ships swinging,
Come we together, we two!
Whirling and fallings
Fairy-light made in the forest the snow;
Wood-folk are straying,
Shadows are playing;-
Was it your footstep? Oh, no!
Courage is failing,
Hoar frost assailing
Boughs of your longing surrounds with its spell.
But I dare enter,
Break to the center,
Where in dream-fetters you dwell.
Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Tryst by Bjørnstjerne Bjørnson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Naveed Khalid
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
Sir Walter Scott
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Exposure, Wilfred Owen
- Alone, Edgar Allan Poe
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- The unknown face, vinit ghosh
- Kiss Me Bye, Md. Ziaul Haque
- Lust, Love, Hate, Pain, freya busby
- ruff draft.., Leila Hadi
- On Repeat, Leila Hadi
- Ammunition for the Cause, Leila Hadi
- my high school poetry, Leila Hadi
- westnile, Leila Hadi
- With colors, gajanan mishra
- OBITUARY TO INNOCENTS (KILLED SCHOOL CHI.., shuvo chakraborty