Ella Wheeler Wilcox
A vision beauteous as the morn,
With heavenly eyes and tresses streaming,
Slow glided o'er a field late shorn
Where walked a poet idly dreaming.
He saw her, and joy lit his face.
"Oh, vanish not at human speaking,"
He cried, "thou form of magic grace,
Thou art the poem I am seeking.
"I've sought thee long! I claim thee now---
My thought embodied, living, real."
She shook the tresses from her brow.
"Nay, nay!" she said, "I am ideal.
I am the phantom of desire---
The spirit of all great endeavour,
I am the voice that says, 'Come higher.'
That calls men up and up for ever.
"'Tis not alone the thought supreme
That here upon thy path has risen;
I am the artist's highest dream,
The ray of light he cannot prison.
I am the sweet ecstatic note
Than all glad music gladder, clearer,
That trembles in the singer's throat,
And dies without a human hearer.
"I am the greater, better yield,
That leads and cheers thy farmer neighbour,
For me he bravely tills the field
And whistles gaily at his labour.
Not thou alone, O poet soul,
Dost seek me through an endless morrow,
But to the toiling, hoping whole
I am at once the hope and sorrow.
The spirit of the unattained,
I am to those who seek to name me,
A good desired but never gained.
All shall pursue, but none shall claim me."
Ella Wheeler Wilcox's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Unattained by Ella Wheeler Wilcox )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(14 December 1895 – 18 November 1952)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- RAJ VIKRAM
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
William Butler Yeats
(13 June 1865 – 28 January 1939)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- As I Grew Older, Langston Hughes
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
Poem of the Day
- After School Days, Pijush Biswas
- It's Cognizant, Ifthekar Ifthi
- Never A Mistake~, Kamini Arichandran
- Vivaciousness, hafiz qasim
- Christmas 2014-1914, Darlene Walsh
- Without You, Gillu Rahul
- Wordly, hafiz qasim
- In Blue December Breaking Off The Icicle.., mary douglas
- December 10-11- season bonus, Mae AC.
- Mountainclimber, hafiz qasim