Thoughts in the Backyard
The sky is white today but the sun gets through
warms my face where I in the backyard and enjoy
the good village´s peace and harmony.
I like the winter sun in Algarve, the summer one
is too fierce I have to hide in the house and put
shutters on windows before noon.
In my childhood I used to draw faces on windows
with night frost, saw them cry and melt away
never to reappear other than in dawn dreams.
Infancy, spent long time looking out of windows
seeing all the seasons and watching other children
playing hide and seek.
Hospital walls, grey as rainy autumn days, and
adults whispered not for a child to hear, surgery
and endless tests, the child could play again.
The whiteness on the sky is a mist now, curtains to
the past is drawn and I do not miss my childhood,
too much pain and aloneness.
oskar hansen's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (The Yard by oskar hansen )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
- Christina Georgina Rossetti
(7 May 1861 – 7 August 1941)
(21 July 1899 - 2 July 1961)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- My Classroom, shivani pillai
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Remember, Christina Georgina Rossetti
Poem of the Day
- Youth is remembered, hasmukh amathalal
- Fidelity, RAJ VIKRAM
- आलम दुसरा था.aalam dusraa thaa, hasmukh amathalal
- Fabrication of Success, Breanni McDuffey
- No base, hasmukh amathalal
- Fighting fire with fire, Leong Ming Loong
- To go down, hasmukh amathalal
- A Horror Memory, Nash Thomas
- In new world, hasmukh amathalal
- My Mother's Advice, Sari Mavi