There is a girl inside
There is a girl inside.
She is randy as a wolf.
She will not walk away and leave these bones
to an old woman.
She is a green tree in a forest of kindling.
She is a greeen girl in a used poet.
She has waited patient as a nun
for the second coming,
when she can break through gray hairs
and her lovers will harvest
honey and thyme
and the woods will be wild
with the damn wonder of it.
Lucille Clifton's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (There is a girl inside by Lucille Clifton )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
William Ernest Henley
- The Christmas Box, Edgar Albert Guest
- Next Of Kin, Edgar Albert Guest
- The Honor Roll, Edgar Albert Guest
- Safe At Home, Edgar Albert Guest
- Old Years And New, Edgar Albert Guest
- She Powders Her Nose, Edgar Albert Guest
- Mother's Job, Edgar Albert Guest
- Education Coming Full Circle, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- What Father Knows, Edgar Albert Guest
- To The Boy, Edgar Albert Guest