Sufficient knowledge has been gained to show
That animals and birds exhibit signs
Of grief; they surely act as if they know
One of their kind no longer lives, at times,
Their conduct in those circumstances then
Displays an understanding that an end
Has come to something known and somehow, when
The same occurs they know it cannot mend.
Of all the animals the elephant
Leads clearly in this knowledge thus displayed.
It has been shown they even know we can't
Return to life when this last journey's made.
Our own immortal spirits may combine
With those of other life forms then, in time.
Eric Bult's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (They know by Eric Bult )
- 6 is truly 9, michael walkerjohn
- Flowers!, rajendran muthiah
- Never feel alone, hasmukh amathalal
- Last Words Played, michael walkerjohn
- Death is certain, hasmukh amathalal
- The Little Men, michael walkerjohn
- Furthest Right, michael walkerjohn
- Political Correctness, michael walkerjohn
- Shiva Stotram, umaprosad das
- THE SEASON, michael walkerjohn
Poem of the Day
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
William Carlos Williams
(17 September 1883 – 4 March 1963)
(31 October 1795 – 23 February 1821)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
- Heather Burns