Sufficient knowledge has been gained to show
That animals and birds exhibit signs
Of grief; they surely act as if they know
One of their kind no longer lives, at times,
Their conduct in those circumstances then
Displays an understanding that an end
Has come to something known and somehow, when
The same occurs they know it cannot mend.
Of all the animals the elephant
Leads clearly in this knowledge thus displayed.
It has been shown they even know we can't
Return to life when this last journey's made.
Our own immortal spirits may combine
With those of other life forms then, in time.
Eric Bult's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (They know by Eric Bult )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
- <<<<<<, , , Hope, Abdul Wahab
- broken freinship, Ewa Busayourmi
- Roll With It, Ima Ryma
- If I Tell You Your Own Bad Feelings, Shalom Freedman
- An ode to God's beauty, PRIYANKA BHANDARKAR
- Someone Like You...., cheryl pires
- Dear you..., cheryl pires
- Mouse, PRIYANKA BHANDARKAR
- Haunting Hour, Michael Mira
- Dancefloor, Justin Tang