Louisa May Alcott
We sighing said, "Our Pan is dead;
His pipe hangs mute beside the river
Around it wistful sunbeams quiver,
But Music's airy voice is fled.
Spring mourns as for untimely frost;
The bluebird chants a requiem;
The willow-blossom waits for him;
The Genius of the wood is lost."
Then from the flute, untouched by hands,
There came a low, harmonious breath:
"For such as he there is no death;
His life the eternal life commands;
Above man's aims his nature rose.
The wisdom of a just content
Made one small spot a continent
And turned to poetry life's prose.
"Haunting the hills, the stream, the wild,
Swallow and aster, lake and pine,
To him grew human or divine,
Fit mates for this large-hearted child.
Such homage Nature ne'er forgets,
And yearly on the coverlid
'Neath which her darling lieth hid
Will write his name in violets.
"To him no vain regrets belong
Whose soul, that finer instrument,
Gave to the world no poor lament,
But wood-notes ever sweet and strong.
O lonely friend! he still will be
A potent presence, though unseen,
Steadfast, sagacious, and serene;
Seek not for him -- he is with thee."
Louisa May Alcott's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Thoreau's Flute by Louisa May Alcott )
- Love Is The Only Way To Peace, Edward Kofi Louis
- Older, Paul Gerard Reed
- Boldness!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Taking Advantage Of Them, Edward Kofi Louis
- In Deed And Truth, Edward Kofi Louis
- Childhood, SALINI NAIR
- John Bull, Anthony Seyi Abiodun
- The End Result, Edward Kofi Louis
- Square, care!, Edward Kofi Louis
- Practice before ye preach, Aftab Alam
Poem of the Day
- I Loved You, Alexander Sergeyevich Pushkin
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Annabel Lee, Edgar Allan Poe
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- A Dream Within A Dream, Edgar Allan Poe
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
- Heather Burns
- Indira Renganathan
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)