In the quiet hush of the tender night,
When my eyes fill up with tears,
Comes my darling unto me, all golden bright
With the sunshine of three sweet years.
And he smiles as he climbs to his seat on my knee,
To whisper his childish mirth;
Then clasps my neck—though you may not see,
For my darling is not of earth.
Not of this cold damp earth of ours,
That betimes, in its freaks of love,
Plucks away the buds from our sweetest flow'rs
To open them up above.
So I knew that my darling, though not with me,
Is in heaven an angel bright;
And the form that climbs up to his seat on my knee
Is the shadow of him to-night.
But this shadow meets me now no more
Half-a-mile from my lowly home,
Nor is seen in the shade of the half-shut door,
A waiting until I come.
Only within the twilight gloom,
When the hours are long and sweet,
I hear all about in the lonely room
The patter of little feet—
Patter of feet that come and go
With a sweet yet restless will,
Just as they did a month ago,
Ere they grew for ever still.
And my heart, at those spirit-sounds that seem
So near yet so far away,
Glides into the faith of a sweet love-dream,
That follows me night and day.
And this love-dream, tender and ever sweet,
Still whispers soft and low—
'Keep thou in thy heart these tiny feet,
And follow the way they go.'
Then my sorrow sinks down as a leaflet will
When the winds are into their rest;
And I bow with claspèd hands, and still
The footsteps are in my breast.
Alexander Anderson's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Those Footsteps by Alexander Anderson )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
- A Homage To The Freedom Fighters Of India, Raja Basu
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- A Red, Red Rose, Robert Burns
- All the World's a Stage, William Shakespeare
Poem of the Day
- Festival for unity(Republic -Day Celebra.., Aftab Alam
- Love Note 5, Michael P. McParland
- Attempts for peace., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- THE GREAT UNKNOWN - Determined the world, sEaN nOrTh
- A Small Rest 2, Michael P. McParland
- Corrective body for peace., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- आं थाबायो सिगांजोँ, Ronjoy Brahma
- ~Red Lights~, E Nigma
- I Am Happy To Walk Home Alone Slowly, Shalom Freedman
- Just me and my formality, rty rty