To a Lady on the Death of Three Relations
We trace the pow'r of Death from tomb to tomb,
And his are all the ages yet to come.
'Tis his to call the planets from on high,
To blacken Phoebus, and dissolve the sky;
His too, when all in his dark realms are hurl'd,
From its firm base to shake the solid world;
His fatal sceptre rules the spacious whole,
And trembling nature rocks from pole to pole.
Awful he moves, and wide his wings are spread:
Behold thy brother number'd with the dead!
From bondage freed, the exulting spirit flies
Beyond Olympus, and these starry skies.
Lost in our woe for thee, blest shade, we mourn
In vain; to earth thou never must return.
Thy sisters too, fair mourner, feel the dart
Of Death, and with fresh torture rend thine heart.
Weep not for them, and leave the world behind.
As a young plant by hurricanes up torn,
So near its parent lies the newly born--
But 'midst the bright ethereal train behold
It shines superior on a throne of gold:
Then, mourner, cease; let hope thy tears restrain,
Smile on the tomb, and sooth the raging pain.
On yon blest regions fix thy longing view,
Mindless of sublunary scenes below;
Ascend the sacred mount, in thought arise,
And seek substantial and immortal joys;
Where hope receives, where faith to vision springs,
And raptur'd seraphs tune th' immortal strings
To strains ecstatic. Thou the chorus join,
And to thy father tune the praise divine.
Phillis Wheatley's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To a Lady on the Death of Three Relations by Phillis Wheatley )
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(August 19, 1902 – May 19, 1971)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
Edna St. Vincent Millay
(22 February 1892 – 19 October 1950)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- I Do Not Love You Except Because I Love .., Pablo Neruda
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Do Not Stand At My Grave And Weep, Mary Elizabeth Frye
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
Poem of the Day
- Miles away, hannah wilbert
- (8) जिख्लाबसे लाइजाम: 'रैसुमै'नो, Ronjoy Brahma
- A life unexamined, Robert Plese
- Dying, Dipankar Chakraborty
- Quotation # 5, saint cynosure ( Ken Bennigh ..
- Control, Robert Plese
- Time is your worst enemy, Leong Ming Loong
- Price, Nassy Fesharaki
- Hate Is A Strong Word, Michael Webb
- The marvelous designer., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..