Felicia Dorothea Hemans
Thine is a strain to read among the hills,
The old and full of voices;â€“by the source
Of some free stream, whose gladdening presence fills
The solitude with sound; for in its course
Even such is thy deep song, that seems a part
Of those high scenes, a fountain from their heart.
Or its calm spirit fitly may be taken
To the still breast, in sunny garden-bowers,
Where vernal winds each tree's low tones awaken,
And bud and bell with changes mark the hours.
There let thy thoughts be with me, while the day
Sinks with a golden and serene decay.
Or by some hearth where happy faces meet,
When night hath hush'd the woods, with all their birds,
There, from some gentle voice, that lay were sweet
As antique music, link'd with household words.
While, in pleased murmurs, woman's lip might move,
And the rais'd eye of childhood shine in love.
Or where the shadows of dark solemn yews
Brood silently o'er some lone burial-ground,
Thy verse hath power that brightly might diffuse
A breath, a kindling, as of spring, around;
From its own glow of hope and courage high,
And steadfast faith's victorious constancy.
True bard and holy!â€“thou art ev'n as one
Who, by some secret gift of soul or eye,
In every spot beneath the smiling sun,
Sees where the springs of living waters lie:
Unseen awhile they sleepâ€“till, touch'd by thee,
Bright healthful waves flow forth to each glad wanderer free.
Felicia Dorothea Hemans's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (To Wordsworth by Felicia Dorothea Hemans )
- Magnificent Darkness, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Clock Is Ticking, Kyle Schlicher
- Mystery, Naveed Khalid
- Silently Tiptoeing, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Man What Is He?, Joseph Skipsey
- Climbing Stairs, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- Today I Thought About You, Kyle Schlicher
- المسير الطويل, مالك حداد
- To Be Inside You, Kyle Schlicher
- You, Colin Ian Jeffery
Poem of the Day
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- If, Rudyard Kipling
- Morning, Paul Laurence Dunbar
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- When Spring Goes By, Duncan Campbell Scott
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
- Heather Burns
(31 May 1819 - 26 March 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(26 April 1564 - 23 April 1616)
(10 December 1830 – 15 May 1886)