Ella Wheeler Wilcox
There was a man, it was said one time,
Who went astray in his youthful prime.
Can the brain keep cool and the heart keep quiet
When the blood is a river that’s running riot?
And boys will be boys the old folks say,
And the man is better who’s had his day.
The sinner reformed; and the preacher told
Of the prodigal son who came back to the fold.
And Christian people threw open the door,
With a warmer welcome than ever before.
Wealth and honour were his to command,
And a spotless woman gave him her hand.
And the world strewed their pathway with blossoms aboom,
Crying ‘God bless ladye, and God bless groom! ’
There was a maiden who went astray
In the golden dawn of her life’s young day.
She had more passion and heart than head,
And she followed blindly where fond Love led,
And Love unchecked is a dangerous guide
To wander at will by a fair girl’s side.
The woman repented and turned from sin,
But no door opened to let her in.
The preacher prayed that she might be forgiven,
But told her to look for mercy – in Heaven.
For this is the law of the earth, we know:
That the woman is stoned, while the man may go.
A brave man weddded her after all,
But the world said, frowning, ‘We shall not call.’
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Two Sinners by Ella Wheeler Wilcox )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
A Dream Within A Dream
Edgar Allan Poe
Did you read them?
- Definitions, Hardik Vaidya
- Without thorn, gajanan mishra
- No Muted Merry Christmas Angels Sang, mary douglas
- Fear Always Not Harmful, Asit Kumar Sanyal
- Never soothe you, hasmukh amathalal
- The One-Eyed Astronomer, Francie Lynch
- The Best Book Ever, mary douglas
- Rescue., Gangadharan nair Pulingat..
- Go Live Your Life, Seema Chowdhury
- Main ek phool hun kanto se, jiski nateda.., Aftab Alam