aloft in a tea rose balloon or of teal striped silk
I am the friend of clouds, aren't you?
of winds and I want to shower down
instead of memorizing imports and exports-
little sweets with caraway seeds
on every country on the pink and green maps
the lavender too we watched unscrolled in school:
a little listless or were we dreaming- even then,
these endless valentines, violet squalls from the Indies...
ones edged in lace, of intricate design.
with clasped hands. with lilies.
with little doors opening onto doors
forget me not!
and inside, it's silver
or it's ruby.
it's ruby like a heart unopened
even on Christmas.
it's ruby like the soul of her so
turned away and twisted in the cords of
others' flights, never her own;
who must make do with the rainbow shreds so ragbag
on the storybook floor that
drifted far, down a fairy tale snow
from a peerless, prismed gown
that's not for her
while in her head, still
carrying the remainder-
content on a moonless night and leaving home
with not even the pink glow glimpsed by astronauts;
just chandeliers of the ultraviolet,
one hummingbird, surreptitious sip
of the wavering dewdrop on the
oh from our hands, the pink and the blue
paper doves we'll scatter
in envelopes of unmarred marigold of the sun never
with shining, here on earth
for the heart, with its fervent wishing
it were otherwise
mary angela douglas 29 july 2014
mary douglas's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Valentine by mary douglas )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
Harivansh Rai Bachchan
(27 November 1907 – 18 January 2003)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(28 November 1757 – 12 August 1827)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi
(1207 - 1273)
(20 October 1854 – 10 November 1891)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- Daffodils, William Wordsworth
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
- Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
- Invictus, William Ernest Henley
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- The Tiger, William Blake
- The Solitary Reaper, William Wordsworth
Poem of the Day
- With hosttile, hasmukh amathalal
- The alluring juxtaposition of class, bea.., Stanley Collymore
- Εntity, Elena Ioannou
- Resent therefore, hasmukh amathalal
- Colour, novoti gcisakazi Calpurnia j ..
- Not feasible, hasmukh amathalal
- The heart, Leong Ming Loong
- Not shy away, hasmukh amathalal
- Time, novoti gcisakazi Calpurnia j ..
- who, Cee Bea