Wang From Leongatha
He's known as Wang from Leongatha olive skinned and straight dark hair
And he works as a casual farm worker working here and working there
His type of man is on the decrease though as of yet not too rare
And though he works hard for his living he doesn't seem the worst for wear.
He came to Australia from Cambodia in nineteen eighty five
From a troubled Land in Asia where one struggle to survive
And he'll not be returning to Cambodia me quite happy here he say
'Tis a better Land Australia and 'tis here me wish to stay.
He wakes early in the morning and before the sun is out
He's already on the highway driving down through Gippsland south
To Kooweerup to cut asparagus he must bend his back all day
Of all of the ways to earn a living there must be an easier way.
He works all around South Gippsland from Tarwin Lower to Pakenham
And he lives in Leongatha the hard working Asian man
And will he go back to Cambodia? if you ask him he will say
In his broken Asian English 'In Australia me will stay'
Francis Duggan's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (Wang From Leongatha by Francis Duggan )
The Road Not Taken
If You Forget Me
Still I Rise
Edgar Allan Poe
I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
William Ernest Henley
Did you read them?
- The BLISS Train IS Rollin'! ! !, Monk E. Biz
- Akungba Igbeyin, Tosin Abegunde
- Potential Individuality, RoseAnn V. Shawiak
- The Ballad Of The Cowardly Fornicator, Andrea Mejia
- hostess snack, you missed the messy attack, Mandolyn ...
- Brightness Is Brighter, mary douglas
- Ekphrastic Poetry- Van Gogh -Night Cafe, Marieta Maglas
- Suddenly Darkness, fgbkehdguwheqi rewfgwej
- Walking On The Jewels Of Your Silence, mary douglas
- Show It To Me, Lawrence S. Pertillar