Bryan Thao Worra
What Is The Southeast Asian American Poem Of Tomorrow?
It is not hip hop,
Despite some hopes.
It is not slam.
It is not even an antipoem.
It is not the form
Of old Europeans or
The resurrected ghazal.
The authors' words, I must inform you,
Will not even resemble or recall
The old kwv txhiaj, ca dao or the __________,
Much to our parents' regrets,
Who pray among wats and steeples
For good grandchildren, lucky numbers
And doctors in the family.
If our lovely readers do
Not grow free, we will be
If our writing is too
Predictable, we will lie
In the ditches unsold.
If our words don't speak
What's in our souls and skulls,
We will forget ourselves,
Our bodies, our shapes,
And the true shape of the Southeast Asian
American poem of tomorrow will become
An exercise in modern myth.
Bryan Thao Worra's Other Poems
Read this poem in other languages
This poem has not been translated into any other language yet.
Comments about this poem (What Is The Southeast Asian American Poem Of Tomorrow? by Bryan Thao Worra )
(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)
(4 April 1928 - 28 May 2014)
(27 October 1914 – 9 November 1953)
(12 July 1904 – 23 September 1973)
Alfred Lord Tennyson
(6 August 1809 – 6 October 1892)
Edgar Allan Poe
(19 January 1809 - 7 October 1849)
(16 August 1920 – 9 March 1994)
(1 February 1902 – 22 May 1967)
- Durgapuri Babu
(19 January 1919 - 10 May 2002)
- A Child's Christmas in Wales, Dylan Thomas
- I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou
- Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening, Robert Frost
- Dreams, Langston Hughes
- Christmas Trees, Robert Frost
- Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night, Dylan Thomas
- Phenomenal Woman, Maya Angelou
- The Road Not Taken, Robert Frost
- If You Forget Me, Pablo Neruda
- Still I Rise, Maya Angelou
Poem of the Day
- That shall keep, hasmukh amathalal
- Change the scene, hasmukh amathalal
- To Whom It May Concern, Dorothy (Alves) Holmes
- Unsuitable, Lawrence S. Pertillar
- People of Pernambuco 2, Kim Barney
- Strange Foods: Oatmeal Omelet, Kim Barney
- Not a Real Poem 2, Kim Barney
- A Christmas with Simplicity, Akhtar Jawad
- Mangos and Monkeys, Kim Barney
- Mack, Kim Barney